The following list responds to many of the common questions asked of VBTG management staff. If you do not find your answer here or elsewhere on the website, please email the management office, and we will respond to your specific issue as soon as possible.

Access and Security

I forgot my keys. Can I get access to my apartment?
You must go to security who will contact the on-duty superintendent; access will be granted free of charge for the first three occurrences. After which, a nominal fee of $20.00 will be required upfront.

I want to change the lock on my suite door.
All locks must be keyed to the master system for building safety. Please see your superintendent. There is a nominal charge.

I do not want my system keyed to the master system.
It is part of the Declaration that all suites are accessible by a master key. This is for your safety in the event of an emergency. All costs of emergency entry, i.e. breaking the door in the event of a fire, will be charged back to the unit owner if access to the unit is not immediately available.

I just moved in and had to prove I am a resident. Why?
We have an obligation to other owners and we have legal requirements to meet under the Condominium Act. The Act differentiates between owners who live in their units and those who do not. We are obligated to have accurate records in this respect. As such, we use the same criteria used by libraries or schools. In other words, we normally use the address on the driver’s license or the tax role specifying who can vote. In special circumstances, the Board will consider other evidence of residency.

I am renting a unit here. Why am I asked for a copy of the lease before receiving a building key?
The Condominium Act states any owner leasing a unit must complete a “Form 5” giving details of the lease or providing a copy of the lease itself.

Are there special procedures for selling my unit?
Your realtor will handle all aspects of selling your unit. You are required to provide the realtor with access to your unit if wish them to have access to the building when you are not at home.

Can my guests use the recreational facilities if I am not with them?
No. An adult resident must accompany guests at all times.

Board of Directors

Who are the Board of Directors?
Your board consists of seven elected individuals who volunteer their time to ensure that the needs of the other owners are being met. You can obtain a list of names from the management office.

What are the responsibilities of the Board of Directors?
The basic role of the board is to oversee the operations of the corporation, and the entire complex. It is a very serious function, and good directors are always upgrading their knowledge to ensure that they meet the strict standards of the Condominium Act.

How does the role of the Board differ from that of the Management Office?
It is the role of Management to be responsible for actually completing specific tasks and functions. Management is the function of carrying on the day to day operations of the corporation and reporting back to the board at its meetings. A director’s job is to oversee, to check up and to ensure that appropriate actions are taken periodically as needed.

Does that mean I can go to any board member for assistance?
Not really. The individual directors are residents, first and foremost. The only time they are a member of the Board of Directors is when they are carrying on the business of the corporation, in a duly called meeting for that purpose. No one individual can make decisions or direct management in a manner that will impact other owners.

How often does the Board of Directors meet and what happens?
The board meets on a regular basis, usually once a month. To hold a meeting, a minimum of four directors must be present. Previous minutes are reviewed and approved as well as financial statements. The manager prepares a monthly report that is presented, and discussion usually involves items in the Management Report.

How do I become a member of the Board?
Board members hold terms of three years, which are staggered. Every year, one or two positions become available. A notice is posted, inviting applications. These are submitted for vote at the Annual General Meeting. If a member resigns during the term, it is the option of the board to appoint an individual to fill the position. At the Annual General Meeting, this position also becomes available for voting.

If I have concerns, how can I meet with the Board?
If you have problems that you have not been able to resolve with the Management Office, or if you wish to discuss an issue of importance to you, put your concerns in writing, and request a meeting with the Board. This request will be put on the agenda of the next scheduled meeting, and the Board will set aside time to meet with you.

Can I sit through an entire board meeting?
It is not common practice to permit individual residents to sit through a board meeting because much of the discussion is confidential.

Can I see the minutes?
Yes. Please put your request in writing to the management office, and arrangements will be made for you to review the minutes. Items of a confidential nature will be deleted to protect the privacy of other residents.

How do I remove a Board member?
The Condominium Act details methods of removing individual board members. It involves getting a requisition signed by no less than 15% of the unit owners, calling for a special meeting, and getting no less than 51% support from registered unit owners.

What is an Annual General Meeting and when is it held?
The AGM is held within six months after the corporation’s year-end, which is December 31. It invites all unit owners, both on-site and off-site, to meet with the board, the auditors, the manager, and other relevant guests, to detail the activities of the corporation and respond to questions and concerns of the residents.

Building Management

Who chooses the property manager?
The board of directors determines which management firm will have the contract to manage the building. This firm provides a manager that the board determines is suitable.

Can management pick up my mail while I am away?
Management will not be responsible for mail. It is better to make arrangements with a friend or Canada Post if you will be away for an extended period of time. We suggest you advise the management office if you will be away for a long period (use the Vacation Information Form) in the event that packages are to be delivered, or an emergency occurs in your suite.

Do I have to pay for insurance?
Yes. It is the homeowner’s responsibility to obtain a condominium homeowner’s insurance package that covers contents, betterments, improvements, assessment and contingency insurance.

Are there lockers and parking spaces for sale or rent?
The corporation has no parking spaces. These can be rented only from CanPark Services (owner of the underground garage). Locker spaces can be rented on a monthly basis from the management office but are available on a first come, first served basis.

Maintenance Fees

What is a Condominium?
A Condominium is a group of “units” to which individual owners hold registered title. The Condominium owner holds title to his/her own unit and at the time, shares with all other owners an interest in the balance of the property constituting the Condominium.

What are common expenses?
Along with the purchase of your unit comes the responsibility to contribute to the budget for repairs and maintenance of the common elements, including exclusive use common elements. The Board of Directors is responsible for preparing an estimated operating budget for the Corporation’s fiscal year. Once completed, based on the proportionate share of the common elements found in schedule “D” of the Declaration, the common expenses are calculated. An owner can not waive his/her right to use all or any part of the common elements in order to reduce his/her contribution.

What is my common expense payment?
Also referred to as maintenance fees, they are a monthly charge for the utilities, regular upkeep, management, administration and insurance for the common element areas. The fees vary according to project and the suite size. The portion of these expenses is set out in the budget statement, which lists the percentage for which each suite is responsible.

What does the maintenance fee include?
The maintenance fees include all services necessary to run the corporation. There is also a projection of expenses made to cover repairs and maintenance of the common elements. The final contribution is made to the reserve fund in accordance with an engineering reserve fund study to allow for future expenses with regard to repair and replacement of the common elements to avoid any financial stress on future homeowners.

Why is my fee higher than my neighbours?
Fees are set as a proportion of ownership in the building. The Declaration determines individual suite ownership.

How do I pay for CEA fees?
You can either drop off 12 post-dated cheques to the management office, dated January 1 to December 1 (the year end for MTCC#607 is December 31st). You can also arrange for your fees to be automatically credited from your bank account, using a CEA form that can be found on this website. Please remember that it takes approximately one month for the automatic withdrawals to take effect. Cheques should be made payable to M.T.C.C. #607.

Making A Complaint

The Superintendent was rude to me. How should I address this?
If ANY staff member or contractor treats you in a manner that you believe is inappropriate, put your complaint in writing to the management office as soon as you can after the incident. The incident will be investigated and if, required the staff member or contractor will be disciplined. All complaints, and the action taken, are filed in the employee’s personnel file.

Something in my suite is not working well. What do I do?
While suite maintenance is the unit owner’s responsibility, if you are unsure of the problem, it is always good to have the superintendent check out the problem before you request a service call. Maintenance Request forms can be found on the Home Page of this website. Fill it out and drop it off at the management office. You will be contacted to make arrangements for investigation of the problem.

I keep hearing a dog barking. Should I go to the suite and speak with my neighbours?
We recommend residents do not become involved in complaining to their neighbours. If you hear a dog barking, or any other inappropriate noise, in the late hours or for an extended period of time, we ask that you do two things:
1. Call Security and report the problem immediately. This call will become part of the security report that is handed to the Management Office. Security will immediately investigate the source of the problem.
2. Follow up this telephone call with a letter written to the Management Office. We will write a letter to the offending owner or resident.

I do not want my neighbors to know I am complaining about them.
No problem. The Management Office will not release your name or any identifying information to the neighbour.

I am not happy with how the manager handled the problem. What can I do?
Your Board of Directors should be advised if you believe you have not been well treated or helped by the Management Office. You can address your concerns directly to the board of directors, in a confidential manner. Either e-mail them directly, or put your correspondence in an envelope marked “Confidential” and drop it off at the management office. Ask that delivery be made only to the President of the Board. You can also ask the Manager, in writing, to meet with the Board of Directors at their next regularly scheduled board meeting to discuss the problem.

Status Certificate

What is a Status Certificate?
This document provides information on the legal description of the property, the Declaration(s) of the Corporation, the Rules and Regulations under which the corporation operates and the financial status of your corporation and its reserve fund. It also advises whether there are any outstanding balances or liens against the suite, and if there are any special assessment(s). Finally, any legal actions against the corporation, either finalized or ongoing, must also be listed.

How do I get a Status Certificate?
To order the status certificate, go to www.statuscertificate.com or click on the “Order a Status Certificate” link on the Forms page.

Should I order the Status Certificate before I sell my unit?
No, the Status Certificate is valid on the day it is produced. Things an change, and if it is produced before the sale of the unit, some of the information may not be accurate.

What can I do to ensure that the Certificate does not have negative information?
As a unit owner, you can impact only the part of the Certificate that deals directly with your suite. If you have overdue balances, or liens, ensure that you have them paid in full before ordering the document.

Is it possible for the purchaser to back out of the sale if he does not like what is in the Status Certificate?
The purpose of the document is to ensure that the new owner knows exactly what he/she is purchasing. If, after reading the contents, and in consultation with his attorney, the potential purchaser finds legitimate reasons for concern, he/she can rescind his/her offer.

Suite Renovations

I am renovating my unit. How do I proceed?
Most renovations are minor, and do not impact the integrity of the unit. These include painting, carpeting, changing cupboards, etc. You can proceed with this type of work further to completing the required Renovation Form, available on the Home Page. Other renovations that may impact the common element walls or structures must be approved by the Board of Directors. Put these changes in writing for approval prior to starting the work.

Am I limited to what hours the contractors can work?
Contactors are permitted to work between the hours of Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

What about using the elevators?
You must book the service elevator in sufficient time to ensure that it is available, and pay the appropriate deposit. The reservation form can be found on the Home Page.

I want to do the work myself. Is this permitted?
You can do the work yourself, especially if it is nonstructural. To address liability concerns, we recommend that all work be performed by a licensed tradesperson or contractor. Problems that occur from your renovation, such as burst pipes or electrical shorts are your responsibility, and costs for repairs will be charged back to the unit owner.

What do I look for when hiring a proper contractor?
Look for a licensed contractor who understands that he/she must work within the rules of the corporation. He should be able to provide evidence that he/she has adequate liability insurance and has WSIB clearance for his/her employees.

I am new to the area. How do I find an approved contractor?
The Management Office can provide a list of contractors that have presented themselves to the office. You can also check the Yellow Pages. Regardless of what firm you choose, the Management Office and the corporation takes no responsibility for work done in your unit by a contractor you select.

Shared Facilities

What are the shared facilities?
The shared facilities consist of any areas that encompass common use such as the ground level walkways to and from the food court, the podium level, any areas covering entities not forming part of the corporation such as the underground garage, Grangetown Townhomes (MTCC#1318) etc. This includes the lobbies, Lantern Club (exercise room, pool) and mail areas.

How is the shared facilities managed?
The Declaration(s) details the method in which the shared facilities are managed. A portion of your budget is set aside to be paid into a separate budget to handle management functions, shared hydro costs, Security costs, and all other items that are considered shared. To make changes in the shared items, the boards of directors of all corporations much approve any such changes.